Castle Combe - Lansdowne
27th - 28th June 2015

 if you are visiting this page via a search engine, please click here for the full website.

Castle Combe was a three race meeting due to the time restraints of the NG club who were running the event, so Saturday was straight into Qualifying and race one with two races on Sunday, so it seemed like a short weekend compared to the normal three day events.


James Haydon was joining the team for the Saturday race only as we wanted to have a test with him before our Goodwood Revival event later in the year.


It was a great opportunity to give James a proper run on the bike that we would be using in September.

We had been having some gearbox issues with Millie and Steve had replaced some components in the box so we hoped all would be sorted at last.


James was to use Mork and me on Millie but as soon as I went out in qualifying on Millie the gearbox was jumping out of 4th again, however I still was quickest right on the lap record pace from Mike Russell and Duncan Fitchett with James in fourth.


As James was just here for the day we decided I would use Mork and James could do what he could on Millie as we couldn't seem to find a solution to the gearbox issue on Millie.

Race one in the afternoon I was on pole and made a super start right alongside of Duncan into the first corner, I had a front slide there in practice so I was a little cautious and Duncan slid under me into the turn but I pulled a tighter line and sprinted past him up to the first chicane.

He made a better run down to Tower and passed me again but I wasn't going to let him get away and re-passed him into the second chicane. Then I settled down into a stead pace and see what sort of gap I could pull over the next couple of laps, Duncan and Alex clung on and after a few laps they were still on my tail.

As we went down towards Tower I had a good look over my shoulder to check on the state of play and changed gear rather carelessly and missed the gear, this allowed Duncan to squeeze past.

Following him round for a while then I slip streamed him and passed him into Tower to take the lead again and for the next lap. As we crossed the start line a lap later I missed another gear giving Duncan another chance and he passed me once more into turn one.


The 'ding-dong' continued as I passed him into the first chicane he then passed me into Tower I re passed him into the second chicane, I was now determined to not let him either get away or even get back in front and pushed Uber hard to the end of the race.

A really cracking race and I new lap record for me in the process.

Over night the weather changed and we woke to heavy rain, it stopped before our second race but even so it was damp as formed on the grid for race two. Another super start and after a quick shuffle with Duncan I took the lead in some trick conditions and this time pulled away leading for the whole race with Alex coming in just in front of Mike Russell.


Race three Chris Firmin made a super start and was on my tail keeping me more than honest for the majority of the race, I kept a hot pace hoping it would break him but he dug deep and clung on.

 As we started lap 5 of 6 he made a small mistake and I pushed really hard and opened up a small gap holding that to the flag.

Yet another great weekend and a clean sweep, pole position, fastest laps in all three races, a new lap record and we won a tyre out of the raffle, result! We leave Castle Combe with a 50 point lead in the Championship.

Upcoming Lansdowne Events:

July 25/26 Cadwell Park 3 races MSV
August 7/8/9 Donington 4 races, Classic Festival CRMC
October 2/3/4 Snetterton 300 4 races CRMC